Skip to main content

Entry #5: Are You In Good Hands?

     This week, I was tasked with analyzing an Allstate commercial. This sounded silly to me at first, but then I realized how much the ads use rhetoric and how they are a great example to start an analysis on. I had chosen the Tailgate Grill ad, which can be watched here. 

    The author of this ad wanted the audience to experience the game day excitement and dread that would occur after it. Since the grill in the car leads to the car catching on fire, it shows the risks that can happen during a big game day. By stating the product, (insurance), at the end of the advertisement, the author obviously wants to promote safe and wise decisions. The target audience is adults who are looking for a safe and reliable insurance plan. 

    The context of this ad is a football game. This is to hopefully get the audience to relate to the ad, almost to say "what if that happened to me?" You can see how American culture greatly influences the advertisement too. Since football is widely seen as being a very American pastime, it important for the ad to relate to that so that an American audience is entertained. The advertisement also includes humor, which keeps the audience engaged and results in conversations about the ad. 

The advertisement also follows the "slippery slope" format. This is evident by having events take place right after eachother, progressively getting worse and worse as time passes. The ad is chaotic and entertaining, which shows why the ads are very popular. Overall, the advertisement gets the job done and entices it's audience. 


    

Comments

  1. Hi Sarah! I agree with what you said and really like how you kept your entry very concise and to the point. I also like how you brought up the correlation about Allstate being an American brand.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Entry #1: Blogs, Blogs, and more Blogs

       Blogs! They can be about pretty much everything. From DIY projects for your living room to recipes for the table, blogs can be an incredible source of information. Not only that, but they can also showcase people's lives and day too day activities. With blogs, the possibilities are limitless. Anyone has the ability publish writings to the internet and discover an audience that can appreciate them. Now you may be asking yourself, "Sarah, what is your opinion on blogs?" I'm glad you asked! I believe blogs are great! But it takes a certain type of person to be able to create a cohesive and well thought out one.      For instance, a good example of this would be The Skinny Confidential. You can explore this masterpiece of a blog  here.  This blog is clear and is visually interesting for its audience. The blog is organized very clearly with easy to access links and directories. All of the visuals on the page relate back to the topics that addressed. The author's

Entry #2: Advice From A Recovering People Pleaser

     Often when I do self reflection, I think back on all of the embarrassing things I have said or done. Which results in me cringing at myself. But who doesn't? This is pretty frequent, but occasionally, I will have a break through. After having one of these sessions recently, (usually late at night when I have nothing better to do) I had a major realization. I had noticed that throughout my life, I have been a people pleaser. Now being a people pleaser isn't a bad thing, but it isn't a great one either. In the moment you may feel in control, and that everyone around you enjoys being around you. Until you realize that you aren't being genuine. While thinking about this concept, I had realized that I wasn't one hundred percent sure who I was. Was I a chill, free-spirited person? Maybe more uptight? I didn't know. Which scared me. How does someone who is eighteen not know at least a little bit of who they are? So, after my little self-loathing session, I made so